Skip to Main Content
Here to Help!
The Librarians are here to help you! This Course Guide will show you how to get started with your research.
Using Databases Instead of a Search Engine
What are scholarly sources?
- The publication should be a scholarly journal not a newspaper or popular magazine.
- The authors are scholars or professionals in the field and are normally affiliated with an educational institution or organization.
- The article should have an abstract, citations and reference list.
- Look for a phrases like “this study examines…” or “we did research to find…”
- Articles are lengthy with few pictures.
- Does not include any advertisements.
Recommended Databases to Help You Get Started
College In Context This link opens in a new window
Discover information on a wide array of subjects; includes updated reference content with magazines, journals, newspapers, and multimedia.
Issues & Controversies This link opens in a new window
Explore in-depth and objective articles exploring controversial issues and topics.
CQ Researcher This link opens in a new window
Search topical in-depth articles, about 15 - 20 pages long, on social issues. Show me how
Use SIMPLE KEYWORDS in search boxes:
- social consequences for income inequality
- income inequality and poverty
- foster care system
- children in foster care
- commercial space travel
- commercial space exploration
CCAC Libraries | Community College of Allegheny County | Pittsburgh, PA | © 2021